Thursday, January 19, 2012

Continued Journey of Education


    Where my journey began was the age of seven, there I stood in the hospital with a new little brother who was very sick. As it turned out he was born with pneumonia and had to be flown to another, bigger hospital. So there I stood outside the NICU watching them prepare him to be flown out and I looked at my mom and said, "I'm going to be a baby doctor when I grow up."
     Well as you can see I didn't make it there yet, somewhere along the way I lost track of that dream. Sure I eventually went back to school for CMA and then for EMT but nothing ever stuck. I just continued to drift through life. I never had a problem finding work and supporting myself but as time went it just didn't feel right anymore.
     You may ask so what changed, why know? Well do you see that little boy in the picture, that's what happened. That little man was my saving grace and changed my life forever. My son was born just a little over a year ago when I was at what I would call a low point of my life. I knew the moment he was born things had to change, no more living day to day.
    I sat down with my mom and sought out her advice on a route to take and here I am, a 31 year old single mom working toward my degree. I knew from the start it was going to be a challenge, however the end result is so worth it. I know now that I have a starting point and a goal to reaching a better future for my son and me. Sure it may not be the dream that started in my head at age 7 but who's not to say I can't with time fulfill that dream as well, only time will tell.
     So my advice to all of you out there that feel lost, don't give up. Things maybe hard now but like I always say, "It's more satisfying when you know you worked hard for what you have."

1 comment:

  1. I got goosebumps reading your blog! It's funny how those little people can put life into perspective! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete